Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Rookie question on .300BLK
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Rookie question on .300BLK
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - February 12 2018 :  7:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picked up a .300 barrel and a friend is going to convert my AR from 5.56 to .300BLK (or AAC or whatever it's supposed to be called). Barrel didn't come with a flash hider, so I'm looking at options. Problem is, the diameter across the threads is 1/2", but everything I'm finding is labeled 5/8". Am I measuring wrong, or is 5/8" some kind of standard and I should just order one and quit worrying?

Also, for Jim H.--and anybody else who can help--what would be a good commercial load for hunting with this caliber? I'd prefer a Soft Point bullet, but have seen some Hollow Points that are not labeled 'Match', so wondering if there is a good option there. The barrel label suggest 125gr, if that matters much. Thanks in advance. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9501 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  09:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the standard is 5/8 X 24 I think. It is the same on most .308 Win. rifles. There are some oddballs in 9/16 though - naturally I would find one

Depends on whether you want subsonic or supersonic - in subsonic the tipped and jsp bullets don't seem to expand and hollow points - with a big opening like L-tech or Lehigh do.

In supersonic so far, for expansion, I've only tested the Barnes Tac-TX 110 gr - it expands on deer (but penetration was lacking).

I just picked up some Hornady 150 gr A-max but have not tested them yet.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 14 2018 :  10:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to get 2400 fps with a 125 grain bullet and the Nosler Ballistic Tip is one I have used at that velocity in a .300 Whisper (just about ballistically identical to the .300 BLK)... it did well.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9501 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  08:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

You should be able to get 2400 fps with a 125 grain bullet and the Nosler Ballistic Tip is one I have used at that velocity in a .300 Whisper (just about ballistically identical to the .300 BLK)... it did well.

I haven't done much chrono work with my new 9" barrel but with the 12.5" that sounds about right. One promising handload load was a Hornady 130 JSP at around 2300.

Richard Mann has a bunch of factory and handload chrono and gel tests on his blog - I forget what it is called - something like "empty cases"? He is shooting it from a 16" carbine. Oddly enough all of the factory loads I checked in my 12.5" got the same velocity as he did from a 16".

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5115 Posts

Posted - February 15 2018 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tried to post this the other day, dunno why it didn't take. Anyway, just found out the new gun store/range here in town has parts for building AR's. Gonna take the barrel up there soon and try some hiders and/or thread protectors; hope they have one that fits---and won't cost a house payment.

Ammo will need to be commercial stuff, I don't reload. I know there's some good loads out there, just would rather not pay that house payment trying umpteen different ones until I find 'The One'. Thanks for the help, keep it coming. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

zeke
Average Member

255 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  09:43:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe look at the barrel manufacturer's website , if there is one? There is a 300 blackout forum where rounds/handloads are discussed at length. Super and subsonic. Hornady just released it's expanding 190 subsonic round, have not seen any independent gel tests on it yet.

With the current prices, would be tempted to get a complete upper and keep the 223 upper intact.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4575 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  10:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's the 'barrels-by-the-inch' website that has data for some rounds on performance from shortened barrels. Don't know if it includes 300BLK

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on February 16 2018 10:05:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
3029 Posts

Posted - February 16 2018 :  11:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zeke

With the current prices, would be tempted to get a complete upper and keep the 223 upper intact.

+1!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.17seconds. Snitz Forums 2000