Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - New Ruger?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 New Ruger?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our weekly trip yesterday I got to fondle a new Ruger revolver. I forget the designation but the clerk is an old retired LEO who knows his weel-guns and he said it was nothing other than a blue 5" Security Six - though it was labeled something else.

I had to agree with his assessment - it was six shot revolver in .357 and definitely smaller than a GP-100.

It had nice sized wood (all wood) target stocks which covered the back-strap so I could not tell if they gun actually had a back-strap like the previous Security/Speed Six - indeed they may have made it like the GP-100 to take those stocks.

It was a neat gun. If I did not have a passel of .38s, .357s I'd be tempted to pick one up!

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

ASCTLC

641 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  1:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm...I don't see it on Ruger's web site, there's the SP101 and GP100 with nothing in between or maybe I don't recognize it for what it is?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2979 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  1:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ASCTLC

hmmm...I don't see it on Ruger's web site, there's the SP101 and GP100 with nothing in between or maybe I don't recognize it for what it is?

I'm not aware of it either, and I normally get all of Ruger's new product PRs.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5084 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  3:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'If I did not have a passel of .38s, .357s I'd be tempted to pick one up!'

What's that got to do with anything? Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
143 Posts

Posted - January 04 2018 :  5:53:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A passel + 1 is always the right move!!!!!

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5084 Posts

Posted - January 04 2018 :  7:15:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did a study a while back, came to a scientfical conclusion that there is a set number of guns that any one person should have, then stop acquiring them. It's always 'one more'. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1430 Posts

Posted - January 04 2018 :  9:51:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen pics of a GP with wood stocks and a half lug 5" barrel but I've not heard of anything smaller.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4483 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

We did a study a while back, came to a scientfical conclusion that there is a set number of guns that any one person should have, then stop acquiring them. It's always 'one more'. Ace

quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBilly

A gun is:

A tool: for obtaining food, for self defense

A piece of our nation’s history

A means of having fun

A stimulus to the economy

A work of art, pleasing to the eye

An investment in the future

Always a good idea...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on January 05 2018 07:18:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  09:28:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

'If I did not have a passel of .38s, .357s I'd be tempted to pick one up!'

What's that got to do with anything? Ace

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  09:29:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure regret not taking a picture of this thing. Maybe it is still there and I can check on it tomorrow.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  09:32:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BobM77

I've seen pics of a GP with wood stocks and a half lug 5" barrel but I've not heard of anything smaller.

Is that the stainless one with a flat sided barrel? I think they call that the Match master or something similar and it is indeed a GP-100

This gun is smaller and it is blue - but it is a six shot not a 101.

I think it actually has a 100 in the model number but the clerk was a knowledgeable guy and pointed out it was Security Six size not GP-100 size.

I sure have not been able to find a reference anywhere though.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

djwarner

USA
236 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  09:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LittleBill

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

quote:

A gun is:

A means of having fun

Always a good idea...

Hmmmm...

For LittleBill's list of gun attributes, assuming # 7 is universal for all guns, the other six taken in combination can indicate the minimum number of guns one must own to cover all the combinations.

If a gun had all six other attributes, you would need 1 gun to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have five attributes, you would need 6 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have four attributes, you would need 15 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have three attributes, you would need 20 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have two attributes, you would need 15 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have one attributes, you would need 6 guns to own all combinations.

This means one would never need to own more than 63 guns to cover all the bases.

Thus considered, I find my collection woefully insufficient and have redoubled my efforts for a complete set.

NON NOBIS TANTUM NATI
Go to Top of Page

BobM77
Advanced Member

USA
1430 Posts

Posted - January 05 2018 :  9:35:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pics I saw were of a blued revolver
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5026 Posts

Posted - January 06 2018 :  07:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djwarner

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

quote:

A gun is:

A means of having fun

Always a good idea...

Hmmmm...

For LittleBill's list of gun attributes, assuming # 7 is universal for all guns, the other six taken in combination can indicate the minimum number of guns one must own to cover all the combinations.

If a gun had all six other attributes, you would need 1 gun to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have five attributes, you would need 6 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have four attributes, you would need 15 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have three attributes, you would need 20 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have two attributes, you would need 15 guns to own all combinations.

If each gun had to have one attributes, you would need 6 guns to own all combinations.

This means one would never need to own more than 63 guns to cover all the bases.

Thus considered, I find my collection woefully insufficient and have redoubled my efforts for a complete set.

What about spares in case one goes down?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4483 Posts

Posted - January 06 2018 :  08:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djwarner

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ace

quote:
Originally posted by BatteryOaksBillyh

A gun is:

A means of having fun

Always a good idea...

Hmmmm...

I’d submit that it’s even more complicated than that...

Just taking the ‘history’ aspect, one gun doesn’t begin to suffice: the Spencer carbine represents one facet of our nation’s history.... while the 1873 Winchester and Sharps ‘buffalo rifle’ covers another... not to mention the 1903 Springfield... the M1 Garand.... the Springfield M1A.... the M4 carbine.... the SCAR-17.... and we haven’t even gotten to handguns yet....

While in the ‘fun to shoot’ category, the selection is practically unlimited...

All pointing to the fact that ‘I just can’t afford it right now’ is the only good excuse for not buying that next gun...

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish, that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on January 06 2018 1:28:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

BatteryOaksBilly

USA
143 Posts

Posted - January 06 2018 :  09:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I learned to ignore the Can't Afford Demon. A purchase of any kind that REALLY pinches you in a sensitive spot today, will not even be remembered 6 months from now. Just get it is my motto. You can also Just Get Rid of it down the line. But then I'm old and into the "enjoy it today" camp.

Billy Bruton..Carry every step..Shoot every day!
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1705 Posts

Posted - January 06 2018 :  9:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, I think you saw one of the the new Lipsey's exclusives. In this case, Model #1768, which is a blued GP100 with a 5" barrel and half lug in .357 Magnum. There are similar exclusives in .327 Mag and .44 Spl, and they all look spectacular! I can't wait to see them at SHOT in a few weeks!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1705 Posts

Posted - January 06 2018 :  9:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are built on GP100 frames, so larger than the Security Six, but the half lug gives them the same cosmetics as the older Sixes. Beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 08 2018 :  08:28:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Jim, I think you saw one of the the new Lipsey's exclusives. In this case, Model #1768, which is a blued GP100 with a 5" barrel and half lug in .357 Magnum. There are similar exclusives in .327 Mag and .44 Spl, and they all look spectacular! I can't wait to see them at SHOT in a few weeks!

Mike

That might be, sounds like it but the frame was visibly smaller than the GP-100s in the case with it, that is what throws me. Looked to me like the cylinder would take a K-frame speedloader, but being blue it might just look smaller - need to make some measurements.

The stocks looked and felt smaller than the ones on the GP-100 Match as well. But I did get the feeling they were mounted on a stud like the GP-100 since they covered the back and were so small.

Thanks for the heads up!

Jim

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
5026 Posts

Posted - January 08 2018 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a 10/24/17 video on Jeff Quinn's website that shows a new stainless Ruger GP100 with a short underlug and a grip frame that looks pure Security Six. Could that be what we're talking about?

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1705 Posts

Posted - January 08 2018 :  4:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's a Redhawk, Jeff. Probably one of the new 10mm ones.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ten Driver
Advanced Member

1705 Posts

Posted - January 08 2018 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, that's a Redhawk, Jeff. Probably one of the new 10mm ones.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - January 12 2018 :  10:49:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ten Driver

Mike

I looked at Lipseys, yep that's it - the .44 might find its way into my battery!

Jim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.31seconds. Snitz Forums 2000