Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - .357's fiocchi 148; geco 158, S&B 158 and some 9mm
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Speed Trap
 .357's fiocchi 148; geco 158, S&B 158 and some 9mm
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

LeifD
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - December 10 2017 :  9:45:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chrono'd a few 9mm's and some .357 rounds. Weather was a very chilly 35 ish degrees; I don't know about humidity but it was certainly not dry.

Pistol used was Steyr L-9 with 5 inch (yes, it was the 5 inch threaded version). Revolver was .357, S&W 686 6 inch.

Something of a control group was

Federal 9mm 115 grain BPLE,
10 shot avg. 1359

115 grain reman 'bite the bullet' fmj
11 shot avg. 1147

115 grain fmj Aguila 9mm +p
12 shot avg. 1215
note: for plus p, this seems kinda sad. I think brown bear 9mm actually goes about same speed

Fiocchi 124 grain jhp 9mm
8 shot avg. = 1148

Fiocchi 147 grain jhp 9mm
11 shot avg. = 1033

American Eagle 158 JSP
7 shot avg. = 1351
note: reliable ignition even with weaker hammer spring; not the same for pmc, S&B, geco

Sellier and Bellot 158 JSP
11 shot avg. =1259
note: if yr revolver is tuned in a way sensitive for light strikes, this might be one to avoid.

Geco 158 JHP
13 shot avg = 1277 fps

Fiocchi 148 grain JHP
9 shot avg. =1,294 fps

Remington 125 JSP L357m12
14 shot avg. = 1600 fps. yes, on the money 1600
note: fireballs!

My thoughts...the Federal 158 jsp and Remington 125 jsp were both clearly above their peers in terms of velocity. They also didn't have any light primer strikes. I was sort of experimenting with a Wilson combat spring, and it had problems with light strikes, especially on S&B, but also some on Fiocchi, Geco, and PMC (my results were dubious on PMC as far as velocity, I don't think accurate so I didn't include them).

The aguila 115 +p, was not really anything special. IMO it is not really worth buying if say, you wanted to practice with fmj to mimic defensive loads. It's just not really that fast.

I haven't seen really anyone publish results for some of these on the web. The fiocchi 147 and 124 seemed respectable enough. I especially liked that the 147 was consistently above 1,000 fps, as it should be in a 5 inch pistol.

For the price it seems like Geco 158 is decent- though I have no idea as far as actual performance of the hollowpoint; but at least the velocity isn't too bad.

Unfortunately I forgot to bring out the magtech 115 +p+ jhp today. I really want to compare that to BPLE. I suspect it will be a little bit quicker. Next time.

fiasconva

USA
211 Posts

Posted - December 11 2017 :  3:33:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info. Interesting to see how different some of the loads performed in the 5in 9mm.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2979 Posts

Posted - December 11 2017 :  3:55:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Competition revolver shooters have learned that if you want to tune/lighten a trigger pull... you stick with Federal primers for your match loads.
If you favor a revolver for SD, you leave the stock springs in, since you can't always depend upon just what loads you will have. That gun needs to light off any primer you may have.

The low velocity on the Aguila 9mm doesn't rule it out for inexpensive practice ammo.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34147 Posts

Posted - December 12 2017 :  9:31:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got in a gunfight and another copper who was also a participant, he only had two rounds launched while the other 4 just sat there. He had ha his action tuned by a local gunsmith.

I ask people I train if they're getting reliable ignition-leave it alone!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - December 20 2017 :  12:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting, good to know.

I am convinced that the .357 takes a pretty big step up when shot from 6" or longer barrels, though I sorta like the 5" N-frames as well.

Well, heck, I just like most revolvers anyway

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

WR Moore

USA
863 Posts

Posted - December 27 2017 :  11:32:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the "tuned" revolvers I've seen over 50 odd years have been done by folks who don't understand the interaction of the parts. Mostly, they change/weaken the hammer spring and may round off a few edges/ polish flats (some of which shouldn't have been touched) and call it "a tune". Better label would be "Tooned".

A couple of months ago I rescued a fundamentally sound K frame and after replacing ruined parts (thank you too much Bubba), fitting and an actual tune that produced a buttery smooth 7 lb pull. Having been left with a ruined strain screw, I decided to do the limbo thing with it and ended up with a 4-4.5 lbs pull and 100% reliability with Federals. I'LL NEVER USE THAT SCREW FOR ANYTHING SERIOUS! I've just kept it (in a labeled bag) in case I get the chance to screw with a few folks minds.

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9474 Posts

Posted - December 27 2017 :  1:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WR Moore

Most of the "tuned" revolvers I've seen over 50 odd years have been done by folks who don't understand the interaction of the parts. Mostly, they change/weaken the hammer spring and may round off a few edges/ polish flats (some of which shouldn't have been touched) and call it "a tune". Better label would be "Tooned".

A couple of months ago I rescued a fundamentally sound K frame and after replacing ruined parts (thank you too much Bubba), fitting and an actual tune that produced a buttery smooth 7 lb pull. Having been left with a ruined strain screw, I decided to do the limbo thing with it and ended up with a 4-4.5 lbs pull and 100% reliability with Federals. I'LL NEVER USE THAT SCREW FOR ANYTHING SERIOUS! I've just kept it (in a labeled bag) in case I get the chance to screw with a few folks minds.

Yep, pretty much. I have a nice 2.5" model 19 I bought at a "S&W Days" at my favorite shop. I can tune a S&W but I wanted to watch the pro do it and handed it over (after testing it myself - it was in time).

He had that thing apart in 30 seconds and hit a few licks with a smooth stone and left the springs and strain screw alone. It does not have a light pull - about 9.5 lbs - but it is super smooth which is fine by me.

A really tuned up S&W trigger is a thing to behold if it is reliable - the one I'm wearing right now is also about 9.5 lbs but it is an old Long Action 1917 (made in 1918) and is super smooth. I love it!

The only gun I have I like the trigger more is a Triple Lock made in 1912 and a Jerry Moran Python...and perhaps a .44 Mtn. gun tuned by Jerry Miculek.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - December 27 2017 :  11:12:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the only tuning that I've ever done with my revolvers is dry firing. I did take the spring strut out of my security six and polish the rough edges so the spring could move smoothly, and Malcolm can testify that it is pretty smooth. My Model 28 I had was just dry fired as it came out of S&W back when they cared. My Model 29 is just plane a thing of beauty. I don't have a trigger gauge but it feels like a single action pull of a glass rod around 4 pounds or less, and no clue on the double action except light and buttery.Both Bill and Malcolm shot it and tried to convince me I didn't need it that will happen the day Bill offers me his SIG's for free and Malcolm smiles and weighs less than I do

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

fsilber

USA
518 Posts

Posted - January 03 2018 :  05:15:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I read of Geco ammo I thought "I haven't heard about that since 1994 and even then it was already unavailable." But that was the Geco BAT line I was thinking of.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.16seconds. Snitz Forums 2000