StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Old debate 115 gr. HP'S in 9mm.
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Speed Trap
 Old debate 115 gr. HP'S in 9mm.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

dennis strapon
Advanced Member

USA
1100 Posts

Posted - October 02 2017 :  1:46:19 PM  Show Profile  Send dennis strapon an AOL message  Send dennis strapon a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
When I first started on this forum in July of 2002, The big debate was whether or not the 115 gr or the 124 gr. was better in the 9mm.Both are good,but everyone has an opinion.Members claimed that the 115gr damaged more tissue in a victim .but the 124 gr.penetrated better. Between Speer, Federal and Winchester which 115 gr. do you prefer in a 9mm for self defense. Thanks, Dennis.

dennis R. strapon

gauchobill
Advanced Member

1022 Posts

Posted - October 02 2017 :  4:08:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, I like the heavier offerings in 9mm--minimum 124 gr HPs by Federal HST, Rem. Golden Saber, Gold Dot or Win. Ranger; moving up to the 147 gr. HP offerings by the same companies. I like Hornady's 135 gr. Critical Duty---not so much for expansion but for penetration of tougher outer materials, i.e. glass, heavy clothing, etc.

In evaluating any brand or type with which I am unfamiliar, I would be guided by the comprehensive ammo tests by Lucky Gunner for penetration/expansion.
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2200 Posts

Posted - October 03 2017 :  05:40:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Fed 9BPLE, it worked in the past should work now.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4959 Posts

Posted - October 03 2017 :  09:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lotta good stuff out there. My advice when anyone asks is to see if the gun prefers a certain grain weight, then choose a good brand in that weight, load up, and quit fretting. Bad guy isn't going to complain because he'd rather have been shot with a different bullet.
I really like the real-world results of Gold Dot 124+P----and 9bple----and HST----and DPX, though that is out of my price range and availability. Got three 9mm's, each one 'likes' a different load, but will shoot the other loads adequately for social work. One big plus for the bple is the price; careful shopping and it can be bought for same or less than practice ammo. Let's just hope they don't figure that out and bump up the cost. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4135 Posts

Posted - October 03 2017 :  1:14:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just acquired some 124 gr +P HST in 9mm because it penetrates more than the DPX which has always been my preferred load.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - October 04 2017 :  03:36:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Federal 115 +P+ (BPLE) load because it generally available at really good prices by case.

I'd be happy with Winchester equivalent, if I'm not mistaken ISP used both brands depending on year/bid with good performance, though I've seldom seen Winchester load around much.

Was a 9mm thread here not to long ago http://stoppingpower.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28449
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4946 Posts

Posted - October 04 2017 :  08:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This looks like a good place to do a fact check on something I've been wondering about.

Some years back Georgia Arms had a booth at the local gun show. I bought a bag of their 9mm 124+p (Gold Dot Bullet at the time) and a bag of 115+P+. The very nice lady asked what guns I would be shooting these loads in. I replied Glock 19 and Sig 228. She said they didn't advise shooting the 115+P+ in a Glock due to the unsupported chamber, but the Glock would be fine with the 124+P and the Sig would be good with either load.

Does anyone here know anything about +P+ being potentially dangerous in Glocks? This was back when there was more discussion of Glock KBs.

I'll have to say I did use some of the 115+P+ in the G19 an it did fine.

As an aside I would note that their .44 Spl 200 gr. Gold Dot load was indistinguishable from the more expensive Speer factory load. Good stuff. Very controllable (borderline mild) in an N frame. It does require a sight adjustment if your gun lives on the Skeeter load...

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34056 Posts

Posted - October 04 2017 :  4:44:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glock and other modern 9MM handguns are spec'd for NATO ball which was designed to run open bolt SMG's

I carried CB 115 gr +p until DPX appeared. I no longer own a 9MM, but if I did I load it with DPX with BPLE as an alternative if I couldn't find DPX

Virtually none of us except Jim H can afford the quantities of +P+ required to wear out a Glock or any other brand!

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5223 Posts

Posted - October 04 2017 :  10:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BPLE +P+ Federal is what I keep in my older Glock 17 Gen2 from 1997. Still a good gun & load.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.12seconds. Snitz Forums 2000