Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Home Defense
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Survivors' Tips
 Home Defense
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5244 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  10:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
May fit here, may not but here goes. You carry a flashlight on your person all the time? The fancy Surefire on your belt while out on the town is useless in the safe or dresser drawer if the lights go out while say eating supper in the kitchen or on the potty. My AA Coast light has over a year of daily carry and it is reliable, handy, and used daily from scanning the back yard while Lucy-dog is doing her thing at night to using at work all the time.

A trip over a table leg in the dark can lead to a broke toe or head inury, let alone not seeing a possible problem....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  2:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BIG +1! I have a Streamlight Microstream that lives in my right front pocket. 3.25 inches long, less than .5 inches in diameter, can't weigh more than a couple ounces, and totally out of the way.... but always there when I need it. Uses a single AAA battery.

I can't tell you how many times a day this 'old guy' pulls that out of the pocket to check some little cranny the old eyes can't peer into. It's not big enough for a 'fighting flashlight'... but it will let me get to one of those (I have several scattered around the house)and a gun (a few of those available as well).

Best $26 I ever spent!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4318 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  2:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now even cheaper: $19 including shipping on Amazon.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on September 23 2017 2:52:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4318 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  3:24:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Olight Baton S2R and S30R are somewhat larger--- 4.5" long and 3/4" in diameter--- but still pocket carryable.

I like the fact that it's rechargeable, by standing it up on a magnetic charging base. I keep the base by my bedside, put the light on it when I retire for the evening--- where it's handy to grab if something goes 'bump' in the night--- then slip it back into my pocket when I get dressed in the morning.

Not cheap though: light and base cost $80. You'd have to go through a lot of AAA batteries before you recouped the $60 price difference between it and the Microstream....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Edited by - LittleBill on September 23 2017 3:33:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  4:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I use Surefire lights because I like them and they're made in the USA. Everyday carry I use the E1d defender. It's an updated version of the E1b, backup. I have one of the original 2 cell Defender lights only 60 lumens but it's still going strong, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

791 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have bought a bunch of lights for myself and for my kids over the years from Battery Junction.

I have a few that use the CR123 batteries that are rechargeable, but from now on out, I will stick with the AA versions due to the fact that nothings beats the Eneloop batteries that hold their charge for a year and still have 90% of there power left at that point. I buy the batteries at Costco when they go on sale. Regular AAs are available everywhere, whereas the 123 are not.

I am never without a flashlight in my pocket.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5024 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  6:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't carry a flashlight in my pocket, think it's kinda silly.

Mine is a Scorpion in a Blackhawk belt carrier. Got one with the old incandescent bulb on the dresser in the bedroom, the one on my belt--not in the pocket--has a LED bulb, and I had to peel off the rubber cover to fit the carrier. Looks like it was rode hard and put away wet; but pretty is as pretty does.

I've found, for inexpensive but good bright lights, that the Guidesman brand at Menard's seem to serve quite well. Lotsa sizes, designs, and lumens. Maybe not tough enough to toss around on the asphalt, and not one of the fancy Mall Ninja-approved Tacticool SpeOps brands, but they're bright enough to use as a landing light for a Ford Ranger. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3995 Posts

Posted - September 23 2017 :  8:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I buy my creeping-in-the-dark flashligh s in bulk from Costco with either AA or AAA batteries. Yeah, I need them, and they last long enough. Some are even bright enough to illuminate "things" in the dark recesses where skullduggery lurks.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2638 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  07:59:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have dedicated carry and nightstand lights.

Nightstand I actually have Surefire plus lower output LED mini lantern like light.

The lower power one is more useful if powers out (it will give 2-4 days of use depending on setting) vs Tactical type use.

Part of that comes from working 2-3 jobs most of my life & not being a morning person, generally have all my EDC gear in my pants when I go to bed so I don't have to remember grabbing anything but the pants when I get up.

YMMV
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  2:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I carry several lights EDC. My key chain has a very small surefire on one of the straps on my fanny pack. Every place I have a gun stashed I have a flashlight with it. No they are not super expensive brand name lights. But they do the job. If I win the lottery I'll get some fancy stuff. Till then I'm not playing the mine is better than yours game.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3995 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  3:11:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have high intensity lights in the veehickles,mane always have two in my "Murse"(man-bag). There are two on each master bedroom nightstand, and in the guest room, kitchen has a few on the counter in their normal stations. Oh, each bathroom, has one on the bathroom counter, within reach of the toilet. Yeah, go ahead and ask why....because!
Picked up some cap LED lights for the grand kids and my baseball style caps too, yesterday. Momma can put mine in my Christmas stocking.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5244 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  5:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uncle Mike, I own several Surefires & Streamlights and I noticed I left them laying around unless it fit in my front pocket. There are tons of good flashlights but useless to me when I don't have it when I need it.

Ace, I've been on the streets on a accident scene and on traffic stops when the brand new dept. issue flashlight would die on me. Back to that battery thing Evan likes to mentions on rifles. I've reached in my shirt pocket or clipped to my pants pocket more than once and did the job then went back to the car with the dead light. One was a Stinger LED, one was a Maglite rechargeable that suddenly went out on me.

Murphy has a grudge against me I think and like to stay one step ahead.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1581 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  6:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Arvinator, the small Surefire E1b or d clips to my phone case; so I always have it. I leave a Fury in my truck along with a knife, binocular ,rain gear and other "stuff". What works for me might not work for you. Surefire lights are too expensive but I still have and use the old ones along with the latest. They seem to last forever ;" Buy once cry once" , regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  8:39:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

BIG +1! I have a Streamlight Microstream that lives in my right front pocket. 3.25 inches long, less than .5 inches in diameter, can't weigh more than a couple ounces, and totally out of the way.... but always there when I need it. Uses a single AAA battery.

I can't tell you how many times a day this 'old guy' pulls that out of the pocket to check some little cranny the old eyes can't peer into. It's not big enough for a 'fighting flashlight'... but it will let me get to one of those (I have several scattered around the house)and a gun (a few of those available as well).

Best $26 I ever spent!

I too, carry a microstream at all times. I fits in my pocket next to my swiss army knife and is all ways there when needed. Loaned it to a friend to check a field drainage tile a couple days ago, most likely the most unusual use it will see.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5024 Posts

Posted - September 24 2017 :  9:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The issued rechargeable Mag light I had would run almost exactly two hours on a full charge, running full time. When I first got it, nobody told me that running it briefly, say 10-15 minutes or less, then putting it back in the charger, several times during a shift, would cause the battery to 'take a set' and the run time decrease a lot. Somebody finally enlightened me when it ran out about a half hour into a dark building search--and my spare was in the car. After that, a couple times a month, on days off, I'd run it until it got way low--but not out--then put it back in the charger. Seemed to make the batteries last longer, plus I'd get the full two hours on the occasions I needed it--then the smaller light in the jacket pocket would take over. Still had one or two in the car, too. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - September 25 2017 :  2:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a long time I worked straight nights. I treated flash light like my guns. On my persons I had my rechargeable Mag. Then I had the original surefire P6 on my belt. I had a AAA minimag in my shirt pocket. In my war bag I had the city issue 4 C cell Mag light, Along with spare batteries for all but my rechargeable Mag.

I never tried this on a rechargeable Mag battery. But I have on 2 lap top batteries with good results.

Most rechargeable batteries will form a memory over time. Try putting the battery in a freezer for several days. Then pull it out and let thaw for several days, then charge it.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - September 25 2017 :  3:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talking about rechargeable batteries.... I have a cheap Trac Phone, had it for years... only used it when traveling to coordinate with meeting people. Never used it much, so I had about 4500 pre-paid minutes on it.

Hurricane Irma changed that. My landline went down 10 Sept, and is still not up & reliable.The cell phone was it.

I found that running that battery down to at least half power, and then recharging it with my car charger (electric power was out for 5 days)
made the time I could use the phone before the battery died lasted much longer.

I guess you do have to 'exercise' those lithium batteries!

My last mess with the cell phone was a 45 minute call to Hughes satilite to see if they could figure out how to get my non-cell back on. After repeatedly running the battery down over two weeks, I made it through that 45 minutes with the Indian call center, and had plenty of battery left.

That would not have happened the first time I pulled it out.

BTW... my car charger ramps up the phone much faster than the electric charger that came with it.

As for flashlight... I'm not a fan of rechargeable models. AAA, AA, and D Cells are cheap. Ya can slap'em in any time. Just have some on hand. I do.

I also noticed that when Irma was approaching, D cells sold out real fast and were impossible to find for days. But AAA and AA were still available. Just a thought.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4318 Posts

Posted - September 25 2017 :  5:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, with regular batteries being as cheap as they are, rechargables offer a limited advantage: you save a little money--- once you've recouped the additional cost of the charger and the higher cost of the batteries themselves--- but at the price of extra hassle.

OTOH, in the unlikely event of a longterm power outage--- EMT, our power grid hacked by unknown actors, nuclear war--- that's where having a small solar panel, charger and batteries would really come in handy.

Edited by - LittleBill on September 25 2017 5:41:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

RLS

USA
691 Posts

Posted - September 25 2017 :  5:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have flashlights placed around the house, not finding any real need to have one on me constantly. What I have found is that batteries leak far more often than I expected. Some good equipment has been trashed due to the leakage of the batteries.

Rick
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

791 Posts

Posted - September 25 2017 :  7:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 to Little Bill's comment on rechargeables.

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3979 Posts

Posted - October 25 2017 :  1:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did tornado recovery mission down state in '94, power was out for weeks.

batteries and candles were a hot item, no pun intended

in 2011 major tornadoes went through here, 128 reported killed, power outages in half the state

local radio and tv stations were off line, only news for at least a week came from the internet

solar chargers, car chargers, and generators if for nothing else to keep cell phone and laptop on line

It doesn't take much to loose power for weeks, if your going to rely on batteries better stock a ton, you will go through them

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
935 Posts

Posted - October 25 2017 :  8:52:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Mike

Hi Arvinator, the small Surefire E1b or d clips to my phone case; so I always have it. I leave a Fury in my truck along with a knife, binocular ,rain gear and other "stuff". What works for me might not work for you. Surefire lights are too expensive but I still have and use the old ones along with the latest. They seem to last forever ;" Buy once cry once" , regards, Mike

+1 to what Uncle Mike has written. I have several SureFire E1D lights, always have one on me. I also keep a Fury in my truck, with a spare in my Go bag. They aren’t inexpensive, but I haven’t found a better light. Malkoff makes some really nice stuff though...

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.28seconds. Snitz Forums 2000