StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Hunting type Shotshell Vest?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Hunting type Shotshell Vest?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  4:17:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't find any current production shell vests with something like 2 rows of shell loops on each side of front of Vest with game picket in rear.

Ones I'm thinking of usesly had pair of shirt pockets above the shell loops that you could stuff few more shells in or decoy or choke tube.

Some had exposed shell loops some hid them inside pockets.

My dad has something like that he bought way back when for casual Trap shooting & very occasional duck or pheasant hunt, and I can find pictures of similar things on net, but no current production ones.

Wanting to find his and hers, figure they'll work for deer hunting here (shotgun slug or handgun only zone) as well as being a non mall ninja way of keeping spare ammo handy for the home defense shotguns.

Also wondering if anyone ever made something similar with 30-30 shell loops.

Edited by - Dov on September 03 2017 9:19:59 PM

holson
Starting Member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - August 29 2017 :  5:16:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is probably more than you need but.... the hunting vest from Wingworks in Haily, ID is the finest I have ever used. Mine is 4 or 5 years old and is worn at least 75 days a year hunting. They are perfect.
Go to Top of Page

JD

USA
101 Posts

Posted - August 30 2017 :  3:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My hunting / shell vests are all from Cabelas. They have a variety of types and styles. Mine have been very durable and functional, and I've been pleased with them....

JD
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9331 Posts

Posted - September 03 2017 :  10:59:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea Dov.

I do not know of any. I would point out if you have one with the closed bottom loops for 12 ga (or 20 ga. might be even better) you can stick about 3 30-30s in each loop and if they get too loose you will only lose one or two if moving briskly.

My standard device for my 30-30 in the car is a little strip I made from a British Vickers MG belt that holds 20 rounds of 30-30 and then a bandolier I made of the same material that would hold about 60 rounds (but I only load it with about 40).

Used to get ammo in these belts but they are hard to find now - anyway the .303 loops hold 30-30 just fine.

I also years ago bought some 2.5" elastic materual and sewed two strips together sewing every 1/2 inch to make "pockets" for rifle ammo. Typically I put these in pockets but one I sewed the ends together as well and made a "bracelet" that goes around the wrist of the support hand and it holds around 8 cartridges I think.

Another idea is that on my Lever action .45 Colt I slipped an Uncle Mikes 6 loop elastic cartridge slide on the fore end and that holds 6 extra cartridges - it will hold 30-30 as well.

Then there are the Allen rifle cartridge belts you can cut up and sew strips of loops to about any garment or even stick it to a stock with Velcro.

Jim H.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4135 Posts

Posted - September 03 2017 :  11:13:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Galati Gear makes bandoleers for rifle (80 rds) and shotgun (56 shells).

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - September 03 2017 :  9:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for replies.

Still haven't found one like I want, might end up buying vests without loops and having gf sew loop on.

Jim 30-30 isn't much different than 308 except for rim & taper, so I'd expect any 308 or 30-06 belts/loops to work.

As someone suggested previously here, I'm using the Federal plastic belt slide that comes with ammo from 308 Federal box as belt slide for gf's 30-30 already.

Worst case we could use Velcro on those to attack to Vest, like those Shotgun card loops.

Actually that might be more slick than loops, loops on Vest for 2 or 4 of the ten round plastybelt slides, or mini belt sewed into Vest for attachment. Then hook Velcro attached to the plastic tray.

Velcro would be less secure, though easier to swap out.

I was just liking the non tactical look of brown/beige Vest with loops for shotgun or levergun.

Edited by - Dov on September 03 2017 9:29:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3717 Posts

Posted - September 04 2017 :  2:36:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is possible solution for you. Get the vest you like the best. Then pick a couple shotgun cards off EBay. They only cost 2 to 3 bucks each. They cone in 5 and 6 shell length. They also come with self stick on one side. I've found that the self adhesive doesn't always work well on fabric. I usually back it up with "Aleenes Fabric Fusion". It's designed just for fabrics. The key is to let it fully cure before playing with it.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000