StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Flashlights, Weaponlights, & NVG?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 Flashlights, Weaponlights, & NVG?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - August 09 2017 :  6:00:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure most of us agree about utility of flashlights, specially if power is out for extended period of time.

Weaponlight on rifle or shotgun in addition to handhelds seems worthwhile to me, but wonder if NVG is worth budgeting for.

Part of the reason thinking about this is because of a minor incident last night outside our apartment, I was pretty sure I knew what was going on. It was just our very new apartment neighbors that are being evicted already. They don't seem like bad kids just young & not very wise yet but our landlord doesn't tolerate any nonsense.

I was able to ID them with ambient light but it took a few minutes, didn't want to illuminate if I didn't need to.

One of their buddies was knocking on their back patio door & then our spare bedroom window (by mistake) probably one of the ones helping them move today.

I don't know if NVG would have speeded up identifying the people or not, but it did convince me I want night vision for home surveillance cameras when we move out of here & into a house (medical issues/bills have delayed getting house).

gw
Advanced Member

3865 Posts

Posted - August 09 2017 :  7:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
spend your money on a big German Shepherd, he has night vision, bionic ears, and loves to play catch

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on August 09 2017 7:33:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldmuleskinner

767 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  02:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahahahaha. Great advice concerning the dog!

Each of us is an innkeeper, and we decide if there is room for Jesus.
Neal A. Maxwell
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2629 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  04:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We already plan on at least 2-3 dogs, I introduced her to customer that had Great Danes and she's wanted one ever since.

I want a Rhodisian Ridgeback or two.

Perhaps a Malamute as well.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5223 Posts

Posted - August 10 2017 :  08:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My night vision decided to dump out on me, dang night owl monocular worked good then POOF like magic it died.

I want to eventually scrounge another but till then I like my Walkers hearing protectors that also amplify sounds. Sometimes hidden in the dark and hearing better could be the smart move....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

bso900p
Average Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  12:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a light on my duty weapon because I have to search & clear houses. At home... no. I donít go searching for bumps in the night. I know the layout of my house in the dark & I wanna keep that advantage. Most bumps are nothing. That bump that is will come to me and bump no more. And I hope it never happens.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4135 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  1:04:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gw

spend your money on a big German Shepherd, he has night vision, bionic ears, and loves to play catch

The 'monks of New Skete' is a monastery in upstate NY who specialize in raising German shepherds, they favor that breed. They've published a number of good books about raising and training your dog.

I've always had Great Danes, love the breed, very good-natured. We never cropped the ears or tails of ours. But they're not as smart as a German shepherd.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  1:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dov

We already plan on at least 2-3 dogs, I introduced her to customer that had Great Danes and she's wanted one ever since.

Multiple dogs can create some problems. Especially if they are male. Dogs are pack oriented, with an Alpha as the boss and a Beta as 2nd, the other dogs accept their role within that family.

When dogs interact with humans, the humans normally become Alpha & Beta.... but dogs still 'sort things out among themselves.

GW is right about a dog... better vision and hearing than anything we can come up with. But, one dog devoted to the family, and understanding who A & B are, is a better bet than several dogs trying to sort out their relationship below that.

I spent a couple years as a dog handler at weapons depos in the Navy, and they sent me to Lackland AFB for a couple of weeks of 'school' before I every saw my dog. That's been awhile for me... but some current very good friends raise and train Rottweilers, so I keep a bit current. One dog devoted to the family is likely (IMHO) a better bet then multiple dogs.

As for NV gear... If you think you're going to 'get hit' and are sitting outside in an ambush position, NV gear (along with enhanced hearing gear) can be nice (as long as it works). If you're inside and the fan gets hit... it's just something to get in the way and delay a proper response.

Just my thoughts... and they were free... so they cost you what you paid for them

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4135 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  1:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

quote:
Originally posted by Dov

Multiple dogs can create some problems. Especially if they are male. Dogs are pack oriented, with an Alpha as the boss and a Beta as 2nd, the other dogs accept their role within that family.

When dogs interact with humans, the humans normally become Alpha & Beta.... but dogs still 'sort things out among themselves.

GW is right about a dog... better vision and hearing than anything we can come up with. But, one dog devoted to the family, and understanding who A & B are, is a better bet than several dogs trying to sort out their relationship below that.

I spent a couple years as a dog handler at weapons depos in the Navy, and they sent me to Lackland AFB for a couple of weeks of 'school' before I every saw my dog. That's been awhile for me... but some current very good friends raise and train Rottweilers, so I keep a bit current. One dog devoted to the family is likely (IMHO) a better bet then multiple dogs.

As for NV gear... If you think you're going to 'get hit' and are sitting outside in an ambush position, NV gear (along with enhanced hearing gear) can be nice (as long as it works). If you're inside and the fan gets hit... it's just something to get in the way and delay a proper response.

Just my thoughts... and they were free... so they cost you what you paid for them

Funny you should mention that, that's one of the main principles of dog-raising the monks of New Skete keep stressing: to make sure that your dog understands from the get-go, that you're the 'alpha male'....

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point"--- C.S. Lewis

"There are some ideas so foolish that only an intellectual could believe them"--- George Orwell

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2855 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  2:44:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LB... sounds like those monk understand dogs. Just buying a couple of dogs gives you little more than having a couple of dogs.

There is DEFINITELY some bonding and sorting out 'pack status' involved with a dog used for personal protection. You must be the ALPHA the dog looks up to. That means training for, at least, basic obedience....after that, if the dog accepts the family, then you have eyes & ears to alert you. Better than a ADT alarm system... the dog will tell you much faster!

If you just want an advanced alarm system there is no need to train the dog for that. If they have melded into the family that behavior will come naturally. Some behaviors in dogs are hardwired.

Think about this.... let's say you own some sort of dog. Now, you're sitting around in the evening in a normal family situation, and the dog is just sacked out on the floor... with the family.

Now reach over, without the dog seeing you, and knock your knuckles on a table.... that dog will be on its feet in a heartbeat, and probably barking!

Hardwired behavior.... you don't need to teach it to a dog who is totally assimilated into the family ... its 'new pack'.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

4135 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  4:43:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep. Which is likely why dogs and humans first started 'hanging out' together, thousands of years ago.... a good deal for both the dogs and the people.

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3961 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  7:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had two GSDs, together, in our family since about 1991. Still have two males at present. We will always have at least one, as we are now getting sorta to emeritus status, specifically because of that breedís abilities as a family protection dog. Ours have always answered the door, and yes, they DO make quite the impression, both audibly, as well as physically. Best dog ever, and the only breed my wife and I will ever have. They are fantastic with their kids (grandkids), and the best fullt8me burglar/ intrude4 alarms going. We have an alarm, plus them, and we sleep deeply and well, with the dogs. Besides, in the wintertime, expect to have a GSD or two 8n bed with you because they love their people.
Oh, and the shedding? Think of the fine hair as dog down, and 7nderstand you can spin it, and knit a sweater or two for larger relatives...or consider the dog hair a condiment...

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Deputy25

USA
914 Posts

Posted - October 07 2017 :  9:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two female Rottweilers and a GSP (for birds, not security). No gun mounted lights on house guns. NVGs from my patrol car are on top of my safe.

Before all else, be armed. - Machiavelli
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000