Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - COB LEDS
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Emergency Preparedness
 COB LEDS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  6:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've noticed these COB LED's showing up since last Christmas. The COB illuminator is about 3" long and 1/4" wide. These things are really impressive.

I've bough several of the inexpensive one's. One of them it the "atomic lantern" that you see on TV. Got it at Wal-Mart, 19.95. It takes 3 AA batteries. It lights up a 12' by 12' room easily. It won't replace the gas powered lanterns, But I could easily do what I needed it that room.

I also bought a Promier Task light. It cost $9.00 at wally world. It's a metal bodied 7" long, and is a combo light. It has a pocket clip, and a magnetic base. It has 120 lumen flashlight, and the COB illuminator is listed as 400 lumen.

This is an impressive little light. There is a button underneath the COB. The first click turns on the flashlight. The reflector gives you a decent amount of light at a respectful range.

The second click turn off the flashlight and the COB Led on high. That sucker put's out some light. Please don't look at that sucker. It hurts. Will light the same 12'by 12' with ease.

The third click drops the COB to 1/2 power. Good for close up work without being blinded.

The fourth click turns on a row of red LED's that or inside the COB that flash. With the magnetic base it could be attached to your vehicle and seen from a fair distance.

The fifth click turns it off.

I can see a lot of uses for this little light. Emergency light in a vehicle, work light around the house, and for power failures.

I haven't done a torture test or anything, though I have accidently dropped once from about 3' and it's still going strong. For the $9.00 price batteries included, It's a great deal. I'm sure there will be something brighter and better by next year, but till then this is a really cool light.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall

Evan
Administrator

34097 Posts

Posted - May 20 2017 :  2:00:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FYI, children's crayons will burn for about a half hour after being lit.

"better to light one crayola than curse the darkness"

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - May 20 2017 :  2:21:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that info Wolfgang. I live in such a rural area that if a squirrel climbs up a power pole and 'passes gas' we lose power. AA batteries are cheap and I gotta pile of 'em.

I think I'll head to my local Wally World tomorrow. The lights you alerted us to might come in handy!

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5024 Posts

Posted - May 20 2017 :  7:17:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So crayons as fire starters? I like it--'No the grandbaby can't have crayons' 'Why, are you afraid she'll write on the walls?' 'No, I don't want her to turn into a firebug.' Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000