Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Gonna change up a bit
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Stopping Power
 Gonna change up a bit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5024 Posts

Posted - May 18 2017 :  10:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just ordered some of Buffalo Bore's .44Spl and .38Spl lead hollow points. If the Ruger Speed and Security Sixes and GP100 .44 like them, I think they'll be my first-up loads for a while--unless somebody convinces me otherwise.
Hope the bad guys appreciate it. Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4975 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  08:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that in those calibers those loads are as good as any, if not the best. The shooting public, the newbies at one end and experienced shooters at the other, seem to be discovering/rediscovering the inherent qualities of revolvers. I know my snubbies and N frames are seeing more range time. Mastering the smooth rolling double action firing sequence is a rite of passage that must be experienced to be appreciated.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9412 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  08:57:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Just ordered some of Buffalo Bore's .44Spl and .38Spl lead hollow points. If the Ruger Speed and Security Sixes and GP100 .44 like them, I think they'll be my first-up loads for a while--unless somebody convinces me otherwise.
Hope the bad guys appreciate it. Ace

I haven't tried the .44 but the .38 load is what resides in the chambers of my "hide out" 640, .357.

I've shot a couple of deer with a hand-load that is much like their .44 except a non-expanding bullet - they both worked just fine.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Sigger

USA
75 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  9:12:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ace,
What round is the Buffalo 38 special?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
5024 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  9:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember their designation, but it's the soft-lead Semi Wadcutter Hollow Point; I believe it has the gas check, and supposed to hit right about 1,000fps from a 3" barrel. My two Sixes are 2.75", so I'm estimating 900+. Ace

edit to add: I think their stock or SKU number is 20/A20 or 20A/20; it's the +p SWHP load. Hope that helps. Ace again

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.

Edited by - Ace on May 20 2017 10:10:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9412 Posts

Posted - May 21 2017 :  10:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sigger

Ace,
What round is the Buffalo 38 special?

Thanks

Ace is correct. The load was advocated by both Phil Sharpe and Elmer Keith (and if I am not mistaken a guy name Ray or Roy Thompson) back in the 1920s and it made it to the market as the ".38 Heavy Duty" in 1930 but most of the factory loads were not gas checked hollow points.

There was also a 110 gr hard bullet at 1300 fps (from a real revolver) which was a "metal piercing" load.

The modern version of the Buffalo bore is actually hotter than any of the other +Ps (or the three factory +P+) I know of but they do claim it is just +P pressure (which may be true with modern powder).

I have a couple of different lots and both hover around 1000 fps from my 2" Model 15 (which is actually 2" not 1 7/8").

It expands in water to about .64" and it penetrates about 14" in bare gel. while one would be tempted to class it with the +P 158 LSWCHP "FBI" load it is actually 150 to 200 fps faster than these have been for the last 15 years.

I've not seen any of the other FBI protocol tests with it however.

Jim

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3995 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been carrying the B-B load in my K-frame snub revolvers, 21/2 inch model 19 and my three inch model 13 now for almost two years. The load is exceptionally accurate in both revolvers, and; I have a high degree of confidence in the 158 grain LHP gas checked round, should I ever need to apply the use of it in "real life". Ace, I think you will be satisfied with its use.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34097 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'be got a Taurus stainless snub chambered for .40 S&W. I was surprised that DPX does not lose that much velocity compared to a SIG P250 compact-if I can find where I hid the chrono results I'll share them.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9412 Posts

Posted - May 24 2017 :  5:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evan

I'be got a Taurus stainless snub chambered for .40 S&W. I was surprised that DPX does not lose that much velocity compared to a SIG P250 compact-if I can find where I hit the chrono results I'll share them.

I would share more info but I often can't find where I hid the keys to the office - honestly I think my wife hides them

Jim

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000