Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Tweaking the Basic Skills test
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Be Prepared
 Training
 Tweaking the Basic Skills test
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9412 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  09:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've shared other places but perhaps not here that for the last year of so I have sinned.

Once I retired from the S.O. and cut way back on classes I sort of quit practicing and we all know that shooting is a perishable skill.

I have been tasked with showing some techniques to several L.E. instructors so I though I'd better brush up on a few things and went out with a timer, a duty rig and some ammo and was shocked how pitiful I was getting - even though it should not have been a shock.

I dug out one of our fairly simple test that covers several marksmanship skills (but not a lot of gun handling skills so you have to keep on your toes in your training).

I call it the AIM (my company) Basic Skills Test and it runs 12 rounds. It is definitely not "high speed low drag" but we need to measure ourselves in order to improve ourselves.

I use the Wisconsin DOJ target. I like it because it has a guy pointing a gun at you, it has a 3" center zone up the middle and the scoring zones end at the bottom of the diaphragm - low hits get you very little.

I score it: Circle = 5, The "lungs" and head = 4 and the rest of the body = 1, the 3" strip and the head circle are also 5 but you get a bonus of 1 (or you can just add it up as a 6).

The bonus sort of encourages people to keep their bullets in the area of the upper spine.

There are 12 rounds and passing is 48 (but with the bonus it is really really easy) - the important thing is you are forcing yourself to shoot under some modest pressure.

All equipment must be either concealed or in a properly secured duty rig.

The course of fire goes like this:

1: 3 yards, sidestep on the draw, fire 2 rounds Strong Hand Only in 2 seconds
2: 3 yards, Low Ready, fire 2 rounds, Weak Hand Only in 2 seconds
3: 3 to 5 yards, low Ready, fire 2 rounds on the move to the rear*, stop at the 5 and fire 1 head shot, 3 seconds
4: 10 Yards, draw and fire 2 rounds in 3 seconds
5: 15 Yards, draw and fire 2 rounds in 4 seconds (kneeling is an option)
6: 25 Yards, draw to any position and fire 1 round in 7 seconds (prone or kneeling is an option).

*if you have the luxury of your own range and plenty of room the direction should be at the oblique, moving straight back is not as productive.

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9412 Posts

Posted - May 17 2017 :  09:47:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to point out that the above is not the "be all end all". There are many other skills one should develop and test and this one is truly basic.

But many folks will not go out and shoot on measured standards and this one is not only easy, running it is quick and simple and yet covers more than just short range.

Be sure you scan after each drill and reload realistically when you need to (even if I had a 16 shooter I'd still reload after about 7 rounds).

A friend (who is as old and decrepit as me) and I shot it yesterday along with the old Gunsite 12 shot standards.

When I started I felt slow and awkward (and blew my first head shot on the Gunsite Standard).

The last (of 4 runs) I did I managed to put all 12 rounds in the 3" spine and ocular window shooting a completely stock Remington Rand made in 1943 from a police duty holster with it all strapped in.

The friend shot it with a 3" Model 60 and passed all but the first time.

Big difference for an hour's worth of practice.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!

Edited by - Jim Higginbotham on May 17 2017 09:55:33 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.22seconds. Snitz Forums 2000