Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Inexpensive ammo
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rimfire Room
 Inexpensive ammo
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3551 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  7:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outdoor Limited .com has Aguila .22LR SuperExtra LRN 40 gr Standard Velocity, $23.90 for a 500 rd brick
and Copper-Plated RNSP 40 gr High Velocity, $25. Shipping for the 4 bricks I bought was $20.

I've bought from them before, no issues.

Ammoking .com has similar deals, actually a bit cheaper for the High Velocity: $2.42 per box of 50. Never dealt with them.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast

Edited by - LittleBill on April 21 2017 7:46:23 PM

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9175 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've shot up a bunch of Aguila since the crunch was on - it seems to be fine - but I'm sure paying more than that!

I need to start scouting more.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill

973 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shooting more and more Magtech in 9mm, .40cal S&W, and .45acp which I purchase from S&G Ammo. This Brazilian brand is usually cheaper than the more prominent brands and it shoots well in my various handguns. I like the bonded hollow points in the three calibers and they performed well in the Lucky Gunner ammo tests (rated for expansion and penetration in ballistic gelatin) compared to other and leading brands.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2622 Posts

Posted - May 04 2017 :  12:39:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Learned something about Aguila today. When the first batch came into the country it was Eley primed. I shot several different loads and found them excellent -- as good as the best. That was posted in a previous thread on the subject.

Today I saw a box of recent manufacture... Super Extra standard velocity... 40 grain lead bullet... different from the first loads I tested.

The box said Aguila Primed. It was at a Steel Challenge practice session with fellow gun club members. The one using it had a couple of solid primer strikes that didn't fire.

Of course, I have recently seen the same thing from some Federal loads, and most Win & Rem loads (but not CCI) so I guess that might be the 'new norm'. But I'm going to have to revise my previous glowing recommendation of Aguila.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying that Aguila isn't good practice ammo. Just that I would be hesitant to use it in a 'no alibi' match where I drive and hour to get there and pay an entry fee. A couple of failures to fire will trash your score.... especially in Steel Challenge where you are dealing in fractions of a second.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 04 2017 12:56:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ben B.

665 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Christian

Learned something about Aguila today. When the first batch came into the country it was Eley primed...Today I saw a box of recent manufacture...The box said Aguila Primed.. The one using it had a couple of solid primer strikes that didn't fire...

That is disappointing info. Aguila and CCI have been my most trusted semiauto .22 ammo b/c of the reliable priming.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." --Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2622 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  2:02:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben B.

quote:

Learned something about Aguila today. When the first batch came into the country it was Eley primed...Today I saw a box of recent manufacture...The box said Aguila Primed.. The one using it had a couple of solid primer strikes that didn't fire...

That is disappointing info. Aguila and CCI have been my most trusted semiauto .22 ammo b/c of the reliable priming.

No reason to abandon CCI. It is my 'go-to' load for any serious match.
Their Mini-Mag has always been one of, if not the, most accurate and reliable load I have used in matches, and in testing various .22 rifles & pistols for the NRA. CCI Standard Velocity 40-grain LRN ain't far behind. It is my load of choice in my Ruger MKII and MKIV pistols (and it's not only available, but in the .09c per round range). It also works beautifully in my Ruger 10/22... but some timers have trouble picking up the reduced sound signature, so I use super sonic stuff in that gun (Mini-Mag and Fed Auto Match).

I play with a lot of .22LR ammo. I know how it is made (I've interviewed production engineers on that subject).

IMHO... the recent .22LR shortage has prompted some ammo makers (no names, but some of the letters start with Win and Rem)to use their tooling beyond its useful spec life... crank out product... and relax QC to a significant degree to cut costs in a 'market demand' situation.

One of my shooting buddies who used Aguila from the beginning tells me that when they switched to Aguila Prime from Eley priming they dropped the price $90 per case.

I'll shoot whatever is available for practice. But, when I have to drive to a match and pay an entry fee I'll be using CCI. They still take pride in the product they turn out.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on May 09 2017 2:06:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3551 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  4:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right now Outdoor Limited .com has CCI 40-gr standard velocity LRN on sale for 7 cents.... $35 a brick.

Ammo Freedom has Mini-Mags for 8 cents.... $80 for 1000.

Plus shipping

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Edited by - LittleBill on May 09 2017 4:14:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3551 Posts

Posted - May 09 2017 :  4:39:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Learned something about Aguila today. When the first batch came into the country it was Eley primed. I shot several different loads and found them excellent -- as good as the best. That was posted in a previous thread on the subject.

Today I saw a box of recent manufacture... Super Extra standard velocity... 40 grain lead bullet... different from the first loads I tested.

The box said Aguila Primed. It was at a Steel Challenge practice session with fellow gun club members. The one using it had a couple of solid primer strikes that didn't fire.

Of course, I have recently seen the same thing from some Federal loads, and most Win & Rem loads (but not CCI) so I guess that might be the 'new norm'. But I'm going to have to revise my previous glowing recommendation of Aguila.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying that Aguila isn't good practice ammo. Just that I would be hesitant to use it in a 'no alibi' match where I drive and hour to get there and pay an entry fee. A couple of failures to fire will trash your score.... especially in Steel Challenge where you are dealing in fractions of a second.

Good news: The Aguila Super Extra High Velocity 40 gr CPRN currently being sold by Ammo King for 4.6 cents, and the High Velocity 40 gr CPRN and Standard Velocity 40 gr Lead Solids sold by Outdoor Limited for 4.7 cents, all say 'Eley Primed' on the box....

Update/correction: while the boxes in the online pics say 'Eley Primed' the boxes Outdoor Limited sent me say 'Aguila Primed'. Bummer!

C.S. Lewis

Edited by - LittleBill on May 09 2017 8:04:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000