Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Best hearing protection for Kel Tec Sub 2000
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Best hearing protection for Kel Tec Sub 2000
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Evan
Administrator

33884 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  10:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the gun and its slowly getting reliable, but my regular muffs don't allow me to get low enough to align the sights and when I do the right muff is off my ear.

Any suggestions before I'm totally deaf.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1470 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  2:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Evan, get some surefire ear plugs. EP 7 blocks/claims 28db. I have two set of electronic muffs that have a cut out or narrow space at the bottom of the ear cup. One is called the "Sporting Clay" model the other is military style MSA Sordin. Neither are cheap but they work good. The Surefire are the cheapest and do work good. Your experience on the Kel Tech is the same as mine. They have good ideas but execution can be a problem, regards, mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2622 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  3:28:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are only dealing with practice range time... and not worrying about hearing a 'timer beep or range commands' in competitive events, then a good set of ear-filling silicon plugs would work.
I find very few electronic ear muffs provide a good 'seal' when cheeking a rifle or shotgun. The gun stock ear side always seems to ride up.

However, I do shoot a .22 rifle with a high comb in Steel Challenge and wear Peltor electronic muffs (need to hear the buzzer and the 'ting' on the plates'... and they do that). They seem to work with the gun I have... can't say about the one you have.

As for the Real World... muzzle blast & recoil are not really going to be noticed at the moment. As you note, they are range issues.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.

Edited by - Chris Christian on April 21 2017 3:29:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

33884 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  6:57:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for both of you. Certainly I see it playing an "adult role" and the hearing will be dealt with later, but I don't want to develop a flinch in training and/or preparing.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.06seconds. Snitz Forums 2000