Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Webley Forsbery 1902
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 Wheelgun Chronicles
 Webley Forsbery 1902
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1470 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  11:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Simpson Ltd is listing this revolver..."38 Cal; 100% blue, good bore, excellent grips, 6'' barrel, A Professional restoration ...Left side of frame marked with the Webley winged bullet logo followed by .38 AUTOMATIC,... winged bullet logo just a bit weak. The bore has strong rifling, but does show frost in the grooves." only $28500. If you read between the lines you get a re-blued "automatic/revolver" with a rusty barrel. I often wonder if Sam Spade's partner Miles Archer had been killed with another weapon if these would be cheaper, , regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

rev.

936 Posts

Posted - April 19 2017 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Surely you meant $285.00?! My Russian .30 cal. seven shot Nagant gas seal revolver tossed into a black oxide vat complete with smoky bore is a whole lot more interesting even if ammo is hard to come by. And it only cost me $100. at Goose Hill complete with like new holster and cleaning rod (obviously never used). The trigger pull is impossible but it still hits in the general direction of point of aim. I once read that a Russian officer (General) once said that "nothing could go wrong with it that you couldn't fix with a hammer".
rev.
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3551 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  06:59:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder how Simpson's arrived at that price?

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4783 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  08:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the paupers among us there are three others listed from $17500 to $18500. The descriptions say "original blued finish". I dunno. Conditions of the finishes are all pretty uniform. None show any holster wear at the muzzle. Some stampings look to be uneven/buffed. Some screws are a bit dinged, but show no bare metal. Didn't the blueing
on the cylinder zig-zags ever wear? I'm seeing buffing striations and matte blue on high dollar British guns from an era when I would have expected a more perfect polish. One gun has a muzzle/front sight cover that definitely doesn't match the apparent condition of the rest of the gun.

Neat guns, but I'm with Uncle Mike. I'm thinking reblued. Price? Who knows? What would market value be if you could find a 116 year old gun in near mint condition?

Jeff

jle3030

Edited by - jle3030 on April 20 2017 08:33:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

LittleBill
Advanced Member

3551 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  08:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess like anything else, it's "worth" whatever some sucker collector will pay for it.

"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at its testing point."
C.S. Lewis

Slow Is Smooth, Smooth Is Fast
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4783 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  09:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's also a 1914 W-F for $14500. That one shows heavy wear, like it may have been through a war. Not being a collector, where condition is everything, I find more interest in the old warhorses that have obviously BSDS (Been Somewhere Done Something). "If only they could talk..." I doubt the high dollar pristine collector pieces would have much to say.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9175 Posts

Posted - April 20 2017 :  09:36:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, to the best of my knowledge (which is limited at best - though I have handled and shot a W-F or two) there were only 4700 or so made in any caliber.

I have no idea how many survive but I'd guess around 500?

Tis a fairly rare thing indeed.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Olddog84

USA
579 Posts

Posted - April 21 2017 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heck that is chump change. Original 1911 serial number 260, in all original condition, with all of the super extra early features, etc. just sold for $75,070! That's right, over 75K. I had to watch it because when I came across it bidding was at what I thought was a staggering 38K: little did I know things had just started.
Mike

"Somebody Tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." Malcolm Reynolds
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9175 Posts

Posted - April 24 2017 :  08:49:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Olddog84

Heck that is chump change. Original 1911 serial number 260, in all original condition, with all of the super extra early features, etc. just sold for $75,070! That's right, over 75K. I had to watch it because when I came across it bidding was at what I thought was a staggering 38K: little did I know things had just started.
Mike

I have shot #166 - that is the earliest one I've even handled I think.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2176 Posts

Posted - April 26 2017 :  12:38:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rev, Ammo for the Mosin revolver isn't any more expensive or hard to get than other semi-esoteric calibers at Cabela's.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

rev.

936 Posts

Posted - April 26 2017 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
revjen45......thanks, there's a Cabela not too far from me.
rev.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.09seconds. Snitz Forums 2000