Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Shotgun advice needed
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Shotgun Center
 Shotgun advice needed
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  11:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Mossberg 590A1 that I received for Christmas several years ago. It was purchased after reading the discussions of it on this site. I have never fired it but have broken it down and wiped it off and re-lubed it a couple of times. Part of the reason that I have never fired it is that I have a nearly two-hour drive to get to a range where I can sight in or use a shotgun. Three local ranges have closed down in recent years. I haven’t fired a shotgun in over 40 years. It was a Winchester Defender with 3” slugs. I had five overlapping bruises in the shape of the buttstock on my shoulder as a result. Now after reading about the number of ills other members have I would like to explain my situation and get the advice of the members here. I have had three heart attacks (stents put in), the last one six months ago. I have had two prior surgeries on my back , one in 2002, and one in 2008 (fusions). There is a ‘significant’ amount of arthritis at the surgery sites. Currently I have a fractured vertibrae and three bulged discs. They don’t want to do a third surgery as I have deteriorating disc disorder and the injuries just keeps moving up. My left arm is atrophied as the result of multiple injuries. I am almost deaf. My doctors are “No Guns Anytime” people, but good at what they do - so far. Do any of you with injuries or limitations shoot shotguns? I can shoot about 20 rounds of .308 from a bench, and unlimited amounts of .223 and 7.62x39, but I really notice a difference going up from there. Should I go to a 20 guage instead? Or a semi-auto? My friend who shoots clay pigeons says that his Baretta Semi shoots like a .22 (but is selling a .45 due to its ‘heavy recoil’). My son could shoot the shotgun but the wife couldn’t. Current home defense long gun is a Sig M400 with an Eotech and a light mounted forward. It’s loaded with DPX, backed up by a mag of Hornady 55gr with the red plastic tips, and, of course, a BHP. The AR is sighted for the DPX. What does your personal experiences tell you about my possible use of a home defense shotgun? How have any of you handled a situation like this?

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  11:53:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given what you've told us, my thoughts would be: 1)Drop down to 20ga, with old-timey Foster slugs. Still might be a bit painful after a day at the range, but hopefully in a defensive scenario, you only have to shoot one or two times--unless your neighborhood is prone to zombie attacks; 2)Don't give up the .223, as it makes a dandy home defense option; 3)Since I'm always looking for an excuse to get another gun, maybe look at a .30 Carbine, just because.
Any of the above choices, and pretty much any handgun, is going to be real 'blasty' (that's a technical term) inside, so it would be good if the intruders would give you time to don ear protection--which they aren't required to do, according to the rules, but... Ace

Give me $1 every time a Liberal lies, I'll give you $5 every time one tells the truth; I'll end up a wealthy man, you'll end up broke.
Go to Top of Page

gw
Advanced Member

3644 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a 20ga on a 12ga frame might help, but a light 20ga probably would be of little benefit to you.

stuff like that has a cumulative effect, the more you train the more damage you do. you may reach a point where even the light kickers become unusable.

I still use shotguns but have limited training sessions. a friend who was a competetive trap shooter has had eye and kneck surgery, he moved to a 20ga for a time but was forced to retire.

another has Parkinson's he was down to using .25 Berretas before he became totally disabled. he found himself unable to defend himself and was robbed repeatedly.

I rely on carbines, i can handle long training sessions no problem.

don't work yourself into a position where you're unable to protect yourself down the road if you can help it.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..."

Edited by - gw on March 16 2017 12:54:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2597 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  3:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have joint pain issues, among other health problems, I used to shoot slugs from Win 1300 nearly every week though only 5-15 per trip.

For defensive use if you have 223 and/or 7.62x39 w expanding bullets that work for you I don't think you need a shotgun unless wing shooting.

I find 308 semi autos, HK/M1a/FAL/etc lot softer shooting than gf's 20 gauge 11-87 though that's probably just because the Rifles weight more.

I'm planning on trying my 12 gauge 11-87 with vent barrel and low recoil slugs and buck, the vent (bird) barrels have auto adjusting gas system unlike the slug barrels.

If that works for me I'll keep 12 gauge for while longer, but I'm planning on replacing shotguns with 308 battle rifle or Garand sooner or later.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2597 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  3:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to add

I think 5.56 is entirely adequate for self defense, but would rather have 308 if slug loaded shotgun not practical for me if needed for critters and such.
Go to Top of Page

Vanman

USA
187 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  5:51:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Winchester 1300 lightweight 12ga. It is very painful with full power slugs, so much so that I have only fired them once. It is comfortable with mini slugs and is one of the few guns that is reliable with them. I think that a 1300 defender would work well with the mini slugs.
Go to Top of Page

ajt

USA
182 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  1:33:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank You everyone. This getting old, (pushing 70) is no fun at all, health wise. Too much time, too little to do, too many limitations (which is what I hate the most), and the perennial too little money.
I appreciate everyone's responses and the knowledge you have imparted to me. We have seen crime moving north over the years and in the last year There have been (very infrequent but for most of our twenty years here there were none)bank, drugstore, gas station, and convenience store robberies. We are near a major highway. Disability/retirement income doesn't permit moving. Just trying to stay prepared and alert.
I think I'll give the shotgun to my son and just go with what I have.
Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  2:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ajt, If you really want a shotgun, how about a .410. I know what most will say but I'd rather not be shot with one. There are a lot of defense ammunition options because of the Judge, revolver. Stoeger makes a double barrel for under $500 with 20" barrels. A 28 ga. will pattern better but your limited on your ammo, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Chris Christian
Advanced Member

USA
2657 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  4:05:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why worry about a shotgun if you have a perfectly serviceable .5.56mm?
At home defense distances both will have to be aimed with the same care. A 55-grain 5.56/.223 is very serious! Maybe not as much as a load of 00 buck.... but if you can handle the 5.56.. make a couple quick hits... but have trouble with the shotgun... why not?

Self-defense situations are fluid. The ability to handle the chosen arm is a MAJOR factor in survival. I'd rather have a gun I can hit with fast.. even if it isn't '00 buck power' and opposed to a gun with '00 buck power' that I struggle to use.

Just MHO.

Chris Christian
There are those who make things happen. There are those who watch things happen. There are those who wonder What The Heck happened! Pick one.
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - March 17 2017 :  6:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1. A home SD situation is not the place to have any doubts about your gun or your body's ability to tolerate it. A 5.56, a .30 carbine JHP, or a pistol caliber carbine seems like a no brainer. Caution with penetration on the .30.

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3687 Posts

Posted - March 18 2017 :  3:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife and I have had several back surgeries. I bought her a youth 870 in 20 gauge. It works for her, and me truth be told.

The one of 2 long arms close to the bed, an AR carbine or my Kel-Tec S2K 9MM.

Recoil is light on both of them. The Kel-Tec is very light. Yes you can load a bunch of stuff on it. All I have on mine is a light and sling. (My S2K takes the G19 magazine.) It will also take the Glock 17 and 18 magazine. If weight is a issue just stick to the Glock 19 mag. It's probably one of the lightest pistol carbine out there.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5159 Posts

Posted - March 18 2017 :  9:37:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it's the thicker heavy barrel version, with bayonet lug give it to a younger family member! Your well armed without the shotgun....

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.19seconds. Snitz Forums 2000