Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Rare Rifles
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Shooting
 The Rifle Rack
 Rare Rifles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  10:48:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Simpson Ltd has some rare and unusual rifles in their "What's New" section. These are weapons you don't usually see. Included are GERMAN VG1-5 VOLKSSTURMGEWEHR, SPRINGFIELD 1903 U.S.M.C. SNIPERS RIFLE, WALTHER K43,NORWEGIAN 1912 KRAG CARBINE,JOHNSON 1941, and the REMINGTON 1903A4 SNIPERS RIFLE. The prices are out of sight. I think they are price high but what do I know. Someone bought the Springfield 1903A4 which makes me feel good about mine
. Also on The Firearms Blog there is a YouTube on the Lee Enfield in WW I. It explains all the ins and outs of the Lee Enflield .303. It's almost 2 hours but it helps explain the confusing Mk's, No's and *'s., regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus

Evan
Administrator

33920 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  11:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My dad's favorite deer rifle was a .30-.40 Krag and he took many a deer with it. When I worked at Ruger they used to send us a monthly inventory list of out of production guns they had in stock. The # 3 single shot carbine was made in the Krag caliber among others and they had two in stock. I waited too long as I was going to buy my dad and I both one-holy crap.

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

Uncle Mike
Advanced Member

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  11:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Evan, I've been looking for a 30-40 Krag for a while. My friend has a N0.3 Ruger but won't sell it. I have considered getting one of the Italian knock offs of the Winchester high wall but I'm still on the fence. The US Krag rifles I've seen are in bad shape. The 30-40 is a sweet round. Your dad and I would of got along just fine, regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides

"War is sweet to those who do not know it."...Erasmus
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9209 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  2:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is one caliber I've never had a rifle in.

A #3 would be "plum spiffy" - I have one in .45-70 - bought it used off a guy (an engineer for a big name gun manufacturer) and he gave me some pretty hot handloads with it - it knocked my hat off the first time I shot it.

It got a recoil pad the next day

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Russ Larges

USA
2178 Posts

Posted - March 10 2017 :  4:40:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Jim Higginbotham

That is one caliber I've never had a rifle in.

A #3 would be "plum spiffy" - I have one in .45-70 - bought it used off a guy (an engineer for a big name gun manufacturer) and he gave me some pretty hot handloads with it - it knocked my hat off the first time I shot it.

It got a recoil pad the next day

Jim

I too, had a #3 in 45-70. It would drive you into the mud without stopping to sharpen ya[(#). That was loaded with 500 grain cast bullets.
Russ

The pistol, learn it well, carry it allways. Jeff Cooper
Go to Top of Page

bandaidman
Advanced Member

USA
1246 Posts

Posted - March 12 2017 :  5:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an uncle who had a krag that looked like it was just off the show room, the action was like butter, the stock had used marks but looked brand new and the trigger was smooth . I had mentioned more than once that I would love to have it, and had forgotten about it until my own dad passed. Then my brother gave me a broken down Stevens shotgun in ether 16 or 12 gauge ( I don't have ether to try as I'm a 20 gauge guy).
Seems his oldest SIL got to choose even though they hadn't spoken to each other for 40+ years. Guess the last man standing takes what they want regardless what was written. Oh well it's still in the family.

“If for a while the harder you try, the harder it gets, take heart. So it has been with the best people who ever lived.
Jeffery Holland
Go to Top of Page

pistolero

239 Posts

Posted - March 13 2017 :  1:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am pretty sure that the ballistics on the .30-40 are close to the .300 Savage and .303 British. 180 grain bullet around 2400 fps at 100 yards.
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9209 Posts

Posted - March 16 2017 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pistolero

I am pretty sure that the ballistics on the .30-40 are close to the .300 Savage and .303 British. 180 grain bullet around 2400 fps at 100 yards.

That sounds about right. I think the first military load was perhaps a 200 at around 2000 or so.

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page

Barry in IN

USA
642 Posts

Posted - March 18 2017 :  11:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "standard" handload for the .30-40 is a 220 grain bullet and 40.0 grains of 4350 for around 2,000 fps. Basically a duplicate of what the military and commercial makers loaded.

I have two .30 Armies, an old 1895 Winchester SRC, and a '92 Krag Sporter. The Winchester is wore slap out, inside and outside. The only bullet it won't keyhole is the 220 Hornady RN. My theory is the lengthy bearing surface catches enough of the ghost of rifling when shorter bullets cannot.

My Krag Sporter is new to me, picked up last fall. I found pencil-written info under the buttplate that told me the owner's name at the time of the work, and it took place in 1959. Somehow, that made me smile. I could see it being done.

Anyway, I've since added a neat old peep sight that replaces the mag cutoff. It shoots pretty well, and would make a dandy Hunter.
I'm also thinking it might be nice just left in the SUV, for "incidentals".

Or my name ain't Nathan Arizona!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.14seconds. Snitz Forums 2000