Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Buffalo Bore .44 Special 190 grain LSWCHP
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Stopping Power
 Test Bed
 Buffalo Bore .44 Special 190 grain LSWCHP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dpast32
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - August 29 2015 :  1:34:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Folks, I did try a Forum search for this load, but didn't come up with any hits. Soooo, I figured I ask for myself. We all know that there are a few decent self defense loads available for the .44 Special, but the Buffalo Bore .44 Special 190 grain LSWCHP "appears" to be perhaps one of the best. ( In theory, anyway ) I've done a fair amount of searching lately, & haven't been able to come up with any gelatin testing of this particular load. I'm not currently set up to do my own tests, so I'm curious as to if anyone has performed any useful tests on this load ? ( in useful, I mean a 10% mix, with 4 layers of denim or a similar type cloth ) Perhaps I'm from the old school, but this load, a 190 gr. LSWCHP, at @ 1,098 FPS out of a 4" S&W "should" be quite a problem solver. If anyone knows of available test data for this round, I'll be extremely interested in the results. THANK YOU

Best, dpast32

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2681 Posts

Posted - September 04 2015 :  10:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum!

The forum's search function needs to be limited to avoid timing out.

It's often easier to use Google's advance search options try : "search term site:stopping power.net"

Replace search term with what your looking for, leave one space after last search item then the "site:stopping power.net"

Don't use the quotes when you do the search, was just using them in attempt at being clear what to type into Google.

Hope that helps.

Lot of people here like Corbon's 44 special DPX or 44 special 165 JHP (the 165 JHP load is almost identical to what Keith Jones department is/was using in their issue 40 S&W).

I like Speer/CCI Blazer 44 special 200 GDHP load as economy carry load. I've used that for years in my nightstand & roadtrip 4" S&W 629.

If your using a 44 magnum loaded with specials for controllability like many of us, there are two less than full power 44 mag loads worth considering IMO. The Corbon magnum loading of the 165 JHP, and Speers 44 mag 200 GDHP short barrel load (Speer Number: 2397) same wide mouth 200 GDHP as the special load I use, but at factory MV of 1075 fps from 4" barrel.
Go to Top of Page

Evan
Administrator

34334 Posts

Posted - September 05 2015 :  10:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't remember testing this and Cor Bon has a DPX hp in this caliber

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

MisterMike
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - April 14 2018 :  7:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lately, the DPX .44 has been unobtainium. Another good load (on paper) is Doubletaps GoldDot
Go to Top of Page

Jim Higginbotham

USA
9636 Posts

Posted - April 20 2018 :  08:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not tested it but I've shot a good bit of Buffalo Bore stuff and it comes real close to advertised.

I tend not to go under 200 gr. with .44 Spl but I do think that 180 to 200 should probably penetrate well enough if it does not expand too big.

I did test Speer Blazer 200 gr Gold dot in wet newsprint (soaked 48 hours) and in water - it pretty much matches .45 Auto regular pressure 230 Gold Dot in both penetration and expansion (just sort of a place to start).

Jim

Get the Weaponcraft Journal on Amazon: Print or Kindle!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000