StoppingPower.net Forums
Home
Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - Whaddya Think - ?
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Gals & Guns
 Whaddya Think - ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

montanaman
Advanced Member

1101 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  12:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My #3 daughter is going into her second year away from home at college, 225 miles away from home.

Freshman have to live in the dorm, and now that she's a Soph she and two of her friends have rented a 3-bedroom apt about 10 minutes from campus.

She couldn't have a weapon on campus, you know one of those safe 'Gun Free' zones, but now she tells me that her Henry .22 lever action isn't handy enough for a home defense weapon, and she wants a pistol.

Her hands are big enough to handle anything short of a .44 Magnum, so what should I train her with this summer ?

I've got a choice of a 4" barrel Security Six in .357 Mag, a Taurus 606 2 3/4" ported barrel in .357 Mag, or a Beretta M9 in 9mm.

I'm leaning towards the Security Six with .38 Special Hollow Points, just for the simplicity, and rugged accuracy of the piece.

I saw the LCP line of new Ruger pistols, and I like the concealability for her, but nobody I know actually shoots one.

Any opinions?

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.

Evan
Administrator

33821 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  12:46:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
let her try them all-you might be surprised

"The greatest thing a Father can do for his children is to love their Mother."

Harold B. Lee

Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3649 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Evan, let her decide. I spent a lot of money on stuff I though my wife or step-daughter would like, only to have to sell and try again.

I've found that a lot of women like the Glock 19, and actually shoot it better that the revolver. But again let her pick, after shooting them.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1101 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  1:03:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not a bad idea Evan - put all three of them out, and let her decide what she's most comfortable with and shoots best -

Thanks for the response -

BTW - she's got a good eye for a rifle, and I offered her my little Russian side-by-side hammerless 12 gauge, but she doesn't want it -

Paladin didn't need a semi-auto, or a laser sight, and always carried an extra gun.
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5131 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  2:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Evan's comments are right on. I will add that if she wants a shotgun consider a 20 Ga. It will still motivate monsters to go the other way.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

gauchobill

958 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  4:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 more to what Evan said. I have to add that based on my own bad experiences (3) with Taurus products, I now avoid them like the plague.
Go to Top of Page

mojo
Advanced Member

USA
2911 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  4:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she likes a semi auto have her look at a Glock15, M&P, and XDm, All three are especially robust and accurate They come with adjustable grip straps that let the shooter customize the gun to their liking. I have two Taurus snubbys and they have been 100%. The older one has had at least 1000 rounds through it and it's still tight and i time. The new gun has only 150-200 rounds through it with no drama so far.

Texas and Louisiana Concealed handgun instructor.

NRA Certified Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection and Refuse to be a Victim instructor.

NRA Endowment member.

Disabled U. S. Army Veteran 1St Cav and 82nd Airborne 1967-1970.
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2558 Posts

Posted - May 31 2013 :  11:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with having her try as many as possible.

My significant other grew up on farm, and killed lots of vermin with pellet gun, but hadn't fired firearms much before meeting me.

I found good female gun safety & ccw instructor to give her basic gun safety & and since that instructor worked at a shop/range she also got to try out over half dozen guns besides ones I owned.

She ended up picking Glock 19 and later Glock 26 as second gun.

She hates revolvers, though my Mom & one sister like my Dad's 6" Security Six.

She also likes my Glock 29sf and that 10mm will be hers sooner or later.

Haven't found defensive rifle she likes yet, but she loves her 20 gauge 11-87, though took lot of work to get her to try it because of her stupid brothers & trick they played on her with 12 gauge when she was younger (she didn't have buttstock firm against shoulder and think they gave mag load).

We are planning on Browning BAR in 243 for her when budget allows, she likes looks of it & that safety and such similar to her 11-87.

Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
742 Posts

Posted - June 01 2013 :  6:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My woman has small hands and is partial to small steel snubbies with non +P's. But, like the others have suggested, let her pick the one she's most comfortable with.
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4689 Posts

Posted - June 01 2013 :  10:47:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of the three choices mentioned, I'd choose (for her) the Beretta first, the SecSix with hot .38's or mild .357's next.
Then again, that idea of letting her try all three and choose which she likes best has more merit than one of us choosing for her.
If it's in the cards and budget, letting her handle/shoot as many different models as possible, then buying her what she picks is a dandy idea, too.
Kudos to her for even wanting to take responsibility for her own safety.

In the FWIW column, if she likes the SecSix and it doesn't have Pachmayr grips, I have a set with no gun to hang them on since I modified mine. Would be happy to send them if you want them. Ace

'A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.' Marty King
Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - June 02 2013 :  10:02:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A wild card consideration here is the two roommates and any visitors to the apartment. Will the gun be hers and hers alone or might it become the de facto "apartment gun"? What are the other two girls' attitudes and abilities? Macho college age male guests?

The roommates and the guests strike me as being more likely risk factors than criminal intruders. The intuder may or may not ever show up. The roommates and vistors will be day to day facts of life, whether your daughter is physically present or not.

I'd go with the most idiot proof gun (DA revolver) with stringent security measures. Train up the roommates if possible. And keep the gun a strict three way secret. (If that's possible...)

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4689 Posts

Posted - June 02 2013 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two can keep a secret, if one doesn't know about it. Three girls.....? [not being sexist, just considering prior observation] Ace

'A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.' Marty King
Go to Top of Page

montanaman
Advanced Member

1101 Posts

Posted - June 02 2013 :  6:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting her a locked pistol safe - I've seen some that look like they open fairly quick.

As far as macho goes - she asked me which one was most powerful, and I told her the .357 snubbie with 125gr JHP - so that's what she wants to go shoot first - so I'll get a few boxes of .38 Sp - as I think she would have to get use to the slap of those full powered loads from the short ported barrel !

Go to Top of Page

jle3030
Advanced Member

USA
4733 Posts

Posted - June 02 2013 :  9:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't referring to your daughter. I assume she has her head screwed on straight and knows her way around guns. I was talking about the possibility of the gun becoming a conversation piece with macho college guys who think they know way more than they do and like to impress the girls.

Or roommates who may feel entitled to the same level of "protection" your daughter has, but may be totally clueless about guns. Until proven otherwise, I'd put college kids in the same threat category as small children. A locked pistol safe should be a given.

I'd also add OC spray and a compact folding knife to the mix for when she's out and about.

Is she an athlete? Some of the lady jocks can be more hard nosed, competitive, and level headed under stress than most men. Ask me how I know....

Jeff

jle3030
Go to Top of Page

Slick
Advanced Member

USA
3386 Posts

Posted - June 04 2013 :  2:01:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I first got my wife into shooting we did the 38 spl thing, then a bunch of 9mm. The first time I put a 1911 in her hand she shot it and immediately turned around and looked at me like this...

I never got to shoot that gun again.
She would take it to the range, and it was a blast to watch big studly guys come over to her and say, "That's an awfully big gun for you there little lady... you sure you don't wanna shoot my 9mm instead?"
She would politely decline, then shoot the bullseye out of her target while they watched sheepishly. Mostly they would then slip away to quietly pack up their stuff and leave.

Let her shoot whatever you have, she'll figure out what works for her (and it probably won't be what you think would be "perfect for her").
Go ahead, ask me how I know...

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2558 Posts

Posted - June 04 2013 :  2:35:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use & really like Safe Direction's money bag style lockble bag with hole designed for securing with handcuff to car or other objects.

It was designed for federal LE to secure handguns.

Though I use quality bike locks to secure it to car.

Mas mentioned the companies name has changed, I don't recall new name but if no one her knows it I can find it.

This bad isn't as fast access as some of the lick boxes, but it is more secure and portable than most lockboxes IMO.

It also includes ballistic panel for safe backstop for loading/clearing or dryfire.

Edited by - Dov on June 04 2013 2:38:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dov
Advanced Member

USA
2558 Posts

Posted - June 04 2013 :  3:36:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted link to Safe Direction's Pistol Transport Case in correct place for approval.

Their new name, perhaps new ownership, is Ravelin Group.
Go to Top of Page

PDR

154 Posts

Posted - July 11 2013 :  6:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really late on this post but here is what I have found. My olders Daughter has an LC9 and shoots it alot. Lets her friends in the Woman only shooting club shoot it and every one of them really like it. The double action only takes a while to get used to and the trigger pull is just a little stiff but shoots great, very accurate and dependable.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.08seconds. Snitz Forums 2000