Forums
Commentary
H&S
About
StoppingPower.net Forums

StoppingPower.net Forums - someone at your front door
StoppingPower.net Forums
StoppingPower.net Forums
Forums Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Invite a friend
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Real World
 Survivors' Tips
 someone at your front door
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5131 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  10:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching the news about Colorado Prison Director murdered when he went to the door, a Texas Prosecutor and his wife murdered with details still sketchy makes me remind myself of a few things:

Use lights to your advantage.Outdoor security light that lights up the outside and me inside a darkened room.

Windows are to look out of. Avoid using the same window every time, and don't stand in front of the window. I personally keep a gun safe by a front window so I can take cover and still look or other action out the window. This safe is also better placed for a hose to be sprayed at if the house catches on fire, AND I can fetch a long gun if needed from that position.

The back door of my house lets me circle from either direction and even get to my crawl space with vents and thick concrete blocks for cover. Excellent position to fight home invaders if I have ample warning.
Most gunowners i know leave a pistol on top of the fridge. BAD HABIT and useless. When I go to the door, in daytime my hand may be in my pocket to not scare the door to door visitors, but after dark and my hand is holding a gun.

I see more copycat killers like this possibly happening, so stay alert.

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3847 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  12:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I do not know the person at the front door, I choose to rarely, if ever, answer their knock/doorbell ring. Just a thing with me. Last summer, I was in the kitchen on the main floor, (looks like the second floor from the street, and saw an obvious crank-head female knocking on each of our neighbors doors in our cul-de-sac. When she reached our door, I was watching her through the blinds near the front door. As our two German Shepherds were "answering" her knock, she wrote on a piece of bro own paper bag, "TWO large dogs" next to our house number. Each of the neighbors addresses had a "not home" and the time written down.
Coincidence? Nope, don't believe in them. If I choose to open that front door, One hand is on the collar of the main burglar-biter, the other ho,D's a loaded handgun.
I think we are seeing the beginning of a new type of terror that will become common place here, that being targeted assassinations of prosecutors and law enforcement officers at their homes. Stay safe, trust no one.No Soliciting signs seem to have zero effect, at least in our fair city, the mopes pound on the door anyway.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5131 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  1:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember years ago when the front yard of homes often had a chain link fence around it. May be a option for some today.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4689 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  4:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At my house, if I answer, there will be a firearm in hand. If the visitor looks benign but I'm not sure, they may not see it; if they look 'hinky', they will see it; if it's someone I know, they're aware already.
One morning, like 4am, the doorbell rang. Momma had dialed '91'-ready to finish if necessary-while I went to the door. Turned out to be the paper delivery guy, who had inadvertently tried to drive half his car onto the bridge in front of the house and tipped the car over. I invited him in to wait for the cops and tow truck, but apparently something about somebody who looks like I do at 4am, with a gun in hand, dissuaded him.
One evening, January 2012, a cop buddy called to let me know they had caught two booglars just around the corner from my house--caught two, and two had run to the woods and got away. A white male and white female were somewhere in the area. Later, the doorbell rang, it was a white guy and white girl who looked like they had been enjoying a run through the woods in the dark. When they saw the .45, they figured I meant it when I told them to lay down on the sidewalk and wait for the nice policemen who would be glad to help them with their 'car trouble'. Fortunately they picked my house to try, as we have two sets of elderly folks up the street that may not have been prepared for such doings.
All the years we've been at this address, the women of the house have 'indulged' my 'idiocyncracy' re:answering the door. After the 2012 incident, my mother-in-law asked 'Why don't we have a gun by the front door?'
Sorry for the long post, but those are two examples of what can happen. We seem to hear more and more, lately, of the poor little girl standing out in the cold ringing the doorbell, but when the kind-hearted homeowner opens the door to help, her friends swarm in with her. There's really no excuse for not being prepared. Ace

'A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.' Marty King
Go to Top of Page

Gerald
Advanced Member

USA
1452 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  6:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like many here arm up when I get up and generally stay armed till I turn in. I answer the door with a gun on me or in my hand out of sight depending on situation. It's just easier than looking for a gun stuck somewhere by the door. If I offend someone they probably shouldn't be there to begin with and if they are my friends (all 2 of them) they know what to expect.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm
Advanced Member

USA
3847 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  10:10:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume my friends are all armed all the time.Why would that not be?
Today at Easter services at Church, one of the ladies in the choir showed me her new "birthday gift", her new J frame with crimson tracer grips, and yes it WAS loaded with two full speed loaders. Her husband loves her.

"The measure of a man's character, is how he treats someone who can do nothing for him." (unknown)
Go to Top of Page

Arvinator
Advanced Member

USA
5131 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  10:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malcolm, some think happy thoughts always, and fail to realize that things happen when you least expect it. I know a cop who swore his pocket .22 was the perfect off duty firearm for concealment. He is now a chief of police of a 50 member department.

With my right arm in a sling, shoulder immobilized there are 3 revolvers loaded with 2 of them here beside me. If i go to the restroom one gets carried in my hand (wearing sweats for a few days)

My condition is yellow with light dose of pain pills. Pain over messed up thinking is my choice.

recovering from surgery, I still have a responsibility to take care of my wife and home.

Be honest, fair, and always prepared...
Go to Top of Page

dullh
Average Member

USA
426 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  11:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the latest issue of the NRA magazine, there was an Armed Citizen article about the guy who:

1) saw police cars speeding past his house
2) heard on the scanner that they were looking for a suspect in his neighborhood
3) grabbed a flashlight and went looking around his yard for the guy - found him and
4) got his flashlight taken from him and got beat upside the head with it, which led to
5) his wife having to use a deer rifle to "rescue" him. The police showed up and hauled to suspect away.

I would have never gone outside. This guy, to me, sounds like an unprepared amateur with delusions of heroism. What if he had gone outside with a gun and got it taken away?

Those who go looking for trouble will find it. If I was that stupid I wouldn't want the whole world reading of my stupidity...
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2157 Posts

Posted - March 31 2013 :  11:33:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"With my right arm in a sling, shoulder immobilized there are 3 revolvers loaded with 2 of them here beside me. If i go to the restroom one gets carried in my hand (wearing sweats for a few days)"
Having only one functional hand, it makes sense to have multiple guns. It's easier to switch guns than reload with one hand. I dont answer the door unarmed, and there are 2 sidearms available for door-answering for my wife. If I saw LE activity and heard that there was a BG infesting the neighborhood the last thing I would do is go outside. Time to lock up and deploy the long guns until the situation is resolved.

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

ASCTLC

584 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  08:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gerald stated it concisely as I go about my days at my home. No one I know shows up unannounced so scrutiny is the order of the day. No bigger deal and no less deal than that.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

heavyweight

USA
742 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had my life threatened numerous times over the past 35 years. Most are blowing hot air. The top half of my front door is glass. At night I pull the curtains closed. Call me paranoid if you want but, when someone knocks on my front door at night, I stand off to the side and move the curtains as if I were looking out. If someone were tempted to shoot through the door when they saw the curtains move, hopefully I wouldn't be in the line of fire. My woman thinks I'm paranoid for doing that. But then, she thinks I'm paranoid for stocking up on rice, beans, canned goods and ammo. Oh well, maybe I am.
Go to Top of Page

GLV

USA
8866 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  10:55:51 AM  Show Profile  Send GLV an ICQ Message  Send GLV a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
First, the front door is where mail is delivered, UPS, and Fed X, etc. It is not the entrance used by family or close friends.

That said, the doorbell or knocking at the front door is an immediate alarm. I can see thru the top of front door (small windows) and can tell without exposing myself at all, if the storm door is being held open. If it is open, I do not open the door. Dog should be barking furiously by this time. I may holler 'who is it?' or I might go out rear door and walk around, but unless I see a delivery truck out front, I will likely ignore the knock.

PS, always armed from get up to get down.

'the world is round everywhere'

'The meek will inherit the earth, but only after the last soldier has left it to them in his will'
Go to Top of Page

wolfgang2000
Advanced Member

USA
3649 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  12:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by heavyweight

I've had my life threatened numerous times over the past 35 years. Most are blowing hot air. The top half of my front door is glass. At night I pull the curtains closed. Call me paranoid if you want but, when someone knocks on my front door at night, I stand off to the side and move the curtains as if I were looking out. If someone were tempted to shoot through the door when they saw the curtains move, hopefully I wouldn't be in the line of fire. My woman thinks I'm paranoid for doing that. But then, she thinks I'm paranoid for stocking up on rice, beans, canned goods and ammo. Oh well, maybe I am.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean the threat not real.

“The key is to hit them hard, hit them fast, and hit them repeatedly. The one shot stop is a unit of measurement not a tactical philosophy.” Evan Marshall
Go to Top of Page

Ace
Advanced Member

USA
4689 Posts

Posted - April 01 2013 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heavyweight's post about 'tactically' moving the curtain brings to mind why I hate peep-holes. How often do people either turn on the inside light, then peep through the hole (which makes it easy for those outside to see the light blocked in the hole), or peep while doing the 'Who is it?' part. Where is your face/head when you do that? Ace

'A just law is a man-made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law.' Marty King
Go to Top of Page

revjen45
Advanced Member

2157 Posts

Posted - April 02 2013 :  2:41:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Biden would advise "you put that shotgun, and you shoot through the door." Then you can find out who was there when you turn the body over.

(Of course I'm not serious.)

Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.
Go to Top of Page

TONY
Advanced Member

USA
3418 Posts

Posted - April 02 2013 :  3:03:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by revjen45

Joe Biden would advise "you put that shotgun, and you shoot through the door." Then you can find out who was there when you turn the body over.

(Of course I'm not serious.)

It's too bad that Biden was...

Stay Safe,

TONY
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
StoppingPower.net Forums © 2002-16 StoppingPower.net, Inc. Go To Top Of Page
Thispagewasgeneratedin0.11seconds. Snitz Forums 2000